Monday, March 29, 2010

HELLO! THE NEXT FAMILY MEMBER IS JUST ON THE HORIZON

Writing a book is like giving birth. The next book is the next child to an author. A living entity that begins with just a smidgen of hope, a whisper of thought and then slowly grows into something even the creator doesn't know all about until it's completed.

First it's an embryo and then a growing, living, breathing thing that develops slowly, broadening it's scope, fleshing out the character until it becomes something who is at once promising and yet incomplete until the last sentence is typed. The main character takes a special place in the writer's life as if she is actually part of my family now and not just an idea that blossomed.

That's how I think of my books, anyhow. It's really more than just the main character who becomes the new child; the accompanying prose and color help finish the project. I know this new person, probably better than I know my own children because I created her and God created my children. The other characters are like cousins or friends maybe; known but not as embedded in my heart as the gossamer thread that began with a simple thought and became another family member.

Most of my novels were born because of something I call my 'what if' syndrome. What if this or that happened to me or someone I know? What would follow: and then the manuscript is launched.

So now, novel number ten hovers just on the horizon…completed, ready to be born. I don't say finished because I'm not sure a novel is ever really entirely over and done with in the writer's mind, just as a real life child changes over the years.

My latest novel, Forgiven, is with a publisher as I write this. Any writer reading this knows the anxiety contained in that statement. Will the publisher accept it? Will this new child be introduced this way? It's a waiting game but whatever happens, it is certain that Forgiven will become my next child.

To give you just a hint as to the makeup of this next offspring, let me tell you a little about it. Not too much, mind you, but enough perhaps to capture your attention and bring you to my side to help wait out this finale with me.

FORGIVEN - Trouble is about to descend on the sleepy little town of Gadara, Florida. A.J. Handley, the last of Gadara's founding family, now realizes his days are numbered. Believing he is without heirs, he prepares to leave his estate to the town's Historical Society. On the other side of town, Karen Waterson is dealing with very different problems. Not only is she struggling with financial matters, now she's got an ex-husband who's useless and an unmarried daughter who's pregnant. Alice, Karen's daughter, would like to be sympathetic but she's got her own problems now that Morgan, the baby's father, has disappeared. With no real explanation, Morgan just up and left, saying he wasn't equipped for the task of being a father. Now that trouble is boiling up like a teakettle about to whistle, Karen prays for guidance.

Meanwhile, Samuel looks down from his Heavenly perch, listens to Karen's plea and shakes his head. He knows it's up to him to do something, but first Samuel has a job to do. He's got to tell Jack Coursky he's dead. After an accident Jack climbed out of the car, left his body behind, and began wandering around like a lost soul, which in fact is precisely what he is. Once Samuel has convinced Jack he is now an angel, Jack gets his first assignment…an assignment that takes him to Gadara where he meets Karen, Alice and A. J. Handley."

The waiting game is the labor in this creative endeavor and to ease the pangs I've begun another babe, in such early stages even I am not sure where it's going. Alas, that's the writer's lot but one I've dreamed of for most of my life. There are no complaints, just awesome anticipation.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Sunny! I'm with you, and I hope the publisher accepts Forgiven and it climbs to the top of the charts! Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. i am really looking forward to reading this book. Please be sure to post notice when it becomes available.

    thanks, Bette Lee Crosby

    ReplyDelete