Tuesday, January 18, 2011

One day back, One day forward

This past Sunday I played golf! Not an earth-shaking declaration unless you factor in that I've probably played golf three or four times in the last five years. Prior to that I golfed five days out of every week. I loved golf and really enjoyed being out on the links with friends and hubby. (Yes, we found playing golf together to be great). The only reason I quit was because when playing a long course you are usually out there four or five hours and one day I thought, "Why am I out here playing a game when I really would rather be inside at my computer writing?" The answer was simple so I packed my clubs away, not completely out of sight and I must admit once in a while as I saw them abandoned in the shed, I wished I could play again. But, it was not feasible to pay a yearly fee for a few games. This golf on Sunday was the result of a friend who asked me to play in a small scramble tournament next month and since I thought I was too rusty to even try, she talked me into going out for a practice round. A few holes, is what she said. I thought that sounded fine but once on the course, we were having such a good time, we played all eighteen. Funny how that stuff comes back.

Then on Monday I began to prepare for the current week. Since my newest book has come out I've become more involved in the local writing world. Tomorrow will be my first creative writing class in a six-week series at the South Florida Community College. First of all, I love doing this. It's the fourth time they have asked me back to teach and so I'm preparing lesson plans and handouts for the 10 students who have signed up for the course. I relish small classes because then you can give individual help. Also this week, on Saturday, I'll be the keynote speaker at a fund-raiser for a local organization (ARC). For the past few years they have invited authors to speak and I was very honored to be chosen for this year's event. But I have to polish off my speech, prepare brochures and get final plans made for this auspicious event.

Busy? Yes. Loving it? Yes. I guess I love the activity and also the diversity so it's back to the computer. Isn't my life grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment