Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Season

The 'season' has begun. Here in Florida that means it's somewhere between October and April. That's when all the snowbirds return after flying away the previous spring. As soon as the weather gets a bit dreary up north, they return to our sunny haven. We love having our snowbird friends return. It's great to renew friendships and kind of pick up where we left off when they headed back north. Of course, the highways are clogged, the stores are filled and the lines at restaurants are a bit longer, but that's okay. In many ways it's kind of like getting parts of your family back.

It also means more activities. Living in a senior community, we are always busy here; things at the clubhouse, the tennis courts, the pool, the golf course and in the Florida rooms of our homes makes for more entries on the calendar. It also is good for business, if you know what I mean. A boost to the local economy and additions to our personal calendars. Mine has begun to fill up, not that it is ever empty. I manage to keep busy 12 months of the year, but the 'season' adds even more.

Tomorrow I have to be at the Mall by 10:00 to set up for the Heartland Cultural Alliance event "Arts & Music Fest" which also includes sculpturing, wood carving, and book signings. Of course, the latter is what I'm doing. It's a three day event, December 2,3,4 and I'm going to be there (with two other writers from my writing group). It should be a good venue but we've never done this before so we are all excited to break this ice. I won't be able to be there for the first day (because of my Friday writing group) but I'm going to have my table set up with free handouts announcing my next two teaching events, brochures and business cards. I've also had a large poster made at the local Office Max with my picture and the covers of 6 of my books. The poster states, "Please Santa, all I want for Christmas is an autographed copy of one of Sunny's books". Hope that catches a few sales.

In the meantime, our community newsletter came out yesterday with a long list of holiday events for us to participate in (or not) as we choose. This is always such a busy and happy time of year. The newsletter also had a little write-up about my latest awards (submitted by a dear friend)so the phone has been busier because not only are people calling to congratulate me but also to ask for the new book. And it isn't even published yet!

Of course, I have the steady regular things I do, like my writer's critique class every Friday, the book club, the FWA monthly meetings and the twice monthly writers' reading event at a local coffee house. (We manage to slip in some card playing time several times a week, too.) Seems there is always something to do. My calendar is filled with 'things I have to do' along with 'things I love to do' so it's a nice balance. You know about the things I love to do, the other things are doctor's appointments, etc. The necessary things that everyone has on their calendars. Soon I'll be getting ready for the creative writing class I'll be teaching at SFCC in January and February. Another thing I love to do.

So, not only am I looking forward to all the above, I'm beginning to get into the "Holiday Excitement." I'm blessed because the things I love far out-weigh the things I must in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment