Saturday, November 13, 2010

OH, HAPPY DAY!!!

As a writer I know that excessive use of !!! is simply not done but sometimes even those rules have to be overlooked. Anyhow, as W. Somerset Maugham said, "There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately no one knows what they are."

The reason for my exclamation points is that my latest manuscript will mature into a real, actual BOOK on November 22nd. This weekend I've received the mock-up of the cover and spoken to my precious publisher. I've heard some sad and terrifying stories about publishers, editors and agents but absolutely none of those descriptions can be even remotely applied to my PUBLISHER, Rebecca Melvin of Double Edge Press, who is kind, caring and absolutely thorough while keeping a friendly and compassionate relationship with the harried author. After careful editing by Rebecca, her staff and finally me, we have polished the work to a finished product. With a final tweak to the front, back covers and the spine, the book goes to the printer on Monday. OH, HAPPY DAY!

As an author I know that some people think we sit grimly in front of the computer screen, fingers flying over the keys and then eventually lean back and sigh, "Job done." Nothing could be further from the truth. Sure we spend hours typing, thinking, rewriting, researching and polishing each phrase as if they were jewels; and they are. But there's nothing more exciting than seeing your words on paper, bound together and in a BOOK. Of course, there's the joy of having your work accepted by faithful and loyal readers and other writers. Oh, I know, there is talk that books as we know them are going to be a thing of the past, being replaced by e-books and something called a Kindle (which I have yet to investigate but it is on the horizon and I'm not sure how I feel about that). But nothing, absolutely nothing will deflate my enthusiasm this weekend. The book is finished, it's on it's way to being born and like any mother, I'm so excited.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Also hope you give FORGIVEN a chance. After all, it's another of my children and Mama is beaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment