Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Speedbump on life's highway…

I have been belaboring over writing about the latest hiccup in my year. I'm not much for crying in public, but this certainly has been a challenging year health-wise. If it wasn't one of it was the other and sometimes it was both. Lenny and I have each taken trips to the hospital via ambulance; both have had a room at that Inn, me for 4 days in March and he for 17 days in May. Then there were the recuperation and rehab periods which sometimes ran into the next issue. Now on October 6th I fractured a bone in my right ankle and broke two bones in my right foot. The right foot! I'm the only driver in the family! (I think that was one too many exclamation points but sometimes you just can't help it.)

But…the right foot. Think about that; when there is no other driver it is a colassal pain. For a month we've had to rely on friends, and what wonderful friends we have. They, Betty, Sharon, Alice, Judy, Jean, Judy, Linda, Clara, Ginna and Lynn (forgive me if I've overlooked anyone) have provided transportation to and from doctors, hospitals, labs, grocery stores, trip to the hairdresser for me and a barber for Lenny. Shirley, Jan and Maggie have provided meals and desserts. I know they do these things with generous and kind hearts but it's not easy to keep asking for help. Believe me I would much prefer the shoe being on the other foot, both literarily and physically. One couple rescued us when the battery in our car dies. What you may ask, did it matter if the battery was dead when neither of us can drive? Well, the dear soul who was taking us to the doctor that afternoon suggested using her car wasn't practical because of the humongous boot on my foot. She has one of these spiffy new vehicles you need a ladder to enter. So I said, "Oh, that's okay; you can drive our car." Sounded like a good idea until the engine wouldn't turn over so we had to use her car anyhow. The next day AAA came and gave the old buggy a jump but discovered a bad cell in the battery. The only thing to do was take the car to the auto supply since AAA didn't install batteries, just jump start them?? Hence, the rescue by Judy and Ralph.

I am fully convinced there are lessons to be learned in everything that happens in your life. We've realized how very blessed we are to live in a community such as we do. Our nearest family is 1200 miles away and it is impossible for them to help but they pray and communicate their concerns. I've learned that you can enjoy food that is quick to prepare and preferably comes in little frozen boxes that pop out of the microwave as dinner. I've learned that it isn't absolutely necessary to have the bed made twenty minutes after arising; so far the covers have been pulled up and the spread remains in the closet. I've also learned that it takes an inordinate number of trips around the bed to change sheets and putting laundry into the washer and drier from a walker is a clumsy stretch. I've learned to laugh when the walker gets stuck in a doorway or your boot leaves skid marks on the kitchen floor. I've also been blessed with the knowledge that's it's okay to ask for help because in similar circumstances I'd want to help others. The meaning of the words 'friends', 'neighbors', 'help' and 'blessings' have all intensified and you take nothing for granted. You just take whatever is offered with a grateful heart.

I've reinforced my belief that all things are possible and sometimes prayers are answered with the word "wait". There is a light at the end of the tunnel. The next appointment with the foot doctor is on November 22nd and we are hoping the boot comes off then. I have no pain and that must be a good sign.

Lenny and I will be celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary on Thanksgiving Day with a couple of friends as we do each year. There will be telephone calls from the family and smiles and tears will mingle with our happiness.

I am blessed with a patient, loving husband who doesn't care if dinner is an omelet made out of Eggbeaters. I am so very aware of the depth of his love and help even when help is difficult for him to give. I've drawn even closer to God because I feel His hearness with more intensity.

So…I hope this blog didn't sound like a pity party because that wasn't the intent. It's just another corner of my life and it's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment