Sunday, March 22, 2009

Book Clubs - Who Knew?

Who knew book clubs would make such an impact on the reading population? The advent of book clubs is nothing new—they've been around for many, many years. But, they really became popular about twenty years ago. I know of one book club right here in Florida that is celebrating over 60 years.

In the past ten years I have been an enthusiastic participant in several book clubs and the rewards have been eye-opening. Readers, true lovers of books, now have a real outlet to discuss what they like, love or hate. Thousands of readers meet every month, in living rooms, on porches, in libraries and clubhouses. They have found a way to not only enjoy books themselves but to share their feelings with other readers. Witnessing the lively discussions about the latest book is an experience. By choosing venues that might not have been selected by the individual members, book clubs open up doors to more genres than one would expect. I had my own comfort zone, a list of authors who wrote things I wanted to read. But, because of a book club association I've read books I would never have picked up. I've been introduced to new authors and, much to my surprise, I often add that author to my 'must read' list. Books that might never have been explored have become favorites.

If you love to read and you haven't joined a local book club, you should. If there aren't any local book clubs then start one, it isn't all that difficult. If you don't already know, find out who among your friends enjoys reading. Search outside your own group for other readers. Most book clubs are small, a dozen or less members who meet once a month. Usually the book chosen for that month is selected by mutual agreement after several suggestions are made. Some clubs assign one person each time to be the moderator, arranging a list of questions for the group to discuss after reading the selected book. Some review suggestions can be found on line. I know of a couple of book clubs who even rate the book on a scale of 2 to 5, 5 being excellent and the others…well you get the picture. Others just have each member give an opinion of the book; for instance how the author handled the plot, characters, whether they were enthralled by the book, was the message conveyed in a believable and interesting manner. The conversations are exciting, thought provoking and just plain fun.

As a child I was fascinated by books, first as my mother read to me, her voice changing from hushed with awe to feverish with excitement. She made the words on the pages become visual. I was transported to magical places, learned wonderful things and felt as if I had become part of the plot and kin to the characters. Even reading fiction you learn things that might not have been made clear any other way and visited places you might never in your lifetime get to see. I couldn't wait to read on my own and then as the years went by I knew that some day I wanted to be the one who put those magical words between the covers of a book. I think reading opens the windows of the world. Between the front and back covers you can find a world of excitement, humor, pathos, love and hate and life that is beyond your realm of reality.

Not a member of a book club? If you're a reader you're missing out on a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment