Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Voices From the Past -- Voices You Never Want to Hush

Do you have memories of sitting around a picnic table on the Fourth of July? The little kids are throwing Frisbees and the bigger kids (write men in here) are tossing a football and challenging their brothers and cousins to impossible feats. It's hot and the women of the family are sitting in the shade. How often have you heard the phrase, "Remember when…" and the memories begin to flow as if the gates to the dam have been opened? These are voices from the past.

Do you remember holidays where a crowded, hot kitchen was filled with delicious scents? Women in aprons bantered across a flour covered table and laughter filled the air. The counters were covered with pies and Aunt Alice's special veggie casserole was just coming out of the oven.

How about running barefoot across the damp lawn as the sun slid below the horizon, chasing fireflies, carrying mason jars with holes punched in the lids. There are cousins everywhere and the older folks are relaxing in rocking chairs on porches that don't have screens.

Have you ever stood around a dining room table while thirty relatives sang Happy Birthday to you and there are not many dry eyes because another family milestone has been reached? Do you remember your first date with the man/woman you married? Is there one Christmas that is so special you can rerun it minute by minute?

This is the stuff of Memoirs. These are the stories that are the fabric of Family History. And, every day Family History is being lost because those memories are just that…they are hidden in the hearts and minds of a family and unless they are preserved they will disappear generation by generation.

I don't usually get up on a soapbox but there is one subject near and dear to my heart and it's Family History. I know many of you are doing the genealogy thing these days and that's great. But in the end it's just a list of names and dates. The true value of a family is not there. The true value are memories future generations won't know about; the stories that set the pace for the future, and they will disappear and that's a terrible shame.

Maybe what influenced me to become so engrossed in getting everyone to write a Memoir is my own family. I had great parents and a loving sister but that was all the family in America. No grandparents, aunts, uncles or cousins. My parents came to this country in 1930 and never looked back. They were the most gung-ho citizens I've ever run into. But, sitting down to dinner was the only family reunion we knew and after my parents died there was no one to ask about what happened 'way back then'. So, being an author, I thought it would be a good idea to write down whatever I could remember. Not just a list of things but a running story about our lives and it was fun. Once the first chapter (on my father teaching my mother to drive) was written the memories rushed back. I didn't really think of it as a 'book', just a record for the children. When I sent it to them their first comment was, "I never knew Grandma and Grandpa did any of that stuff," I did get it published (see Following Daddy in my list of published books).

But, what I preach and teach is not that everyone should write a book. It should be a written personal account of every good, bad, emotional, silly, interesting and memorable thing that you and your family did together. If you are fortunate enough to have relatives that remember 'back when' you have an asset I didn't have but the stories are there and they must be preserved.

Today my goal is to help anyone interested in writing a Memoir do so. It doesn't have to be a piece of literary excellence, just a collection of stories remembered.

Every day precious Family History is being lost. Your family now and in the future will thank you. It isn't difficult, after all you have the entire cast of characters and the plot lines right there in your heart and head.

2 comments:

  1. Sunny, you've opened yourself wide on this post...but I'm not one of those interested in writing about a family history. What I have seen is that the family is not a close union like it once was. Those in my generation were and we were the gathers, the creators of the large family events. Now with distance and the fast-paced lives people live, these events are not attended, nor do the younger group of family members seem to be interested in hosting these events. It's sad to say, but true in our family. I hope you find that others do not have the same experience and will consider writing. I realize that I write, that I have started such a book; however, it centered on the negative parts, abuse, and I chose to stop... What do you think, does a history demand that both the good and bad memories be documented, or do you "fluff" it up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi GABixler: I really appreciate your input and you are correct in saying that the families of today might not be the tight-knit group they were in the past. BUT, that's the point of doing memoirs. The research alone often brings family members together and they join in on creating a family history. My children were amazed at the things that went on in the grandparents lives and in my childhood and it brought the past alive and real for them. When I wrote my memoir I didn't "fluff" it up but stuck to the real happenings some of which were painful. I was so fortunate to have a close family back then and now we are scattered as are so many other families. I am so glad I did the memoir and I truly hope I can inspire others to do theirs.

    ReplyDelete