Monday, October 25, 2010

Something Wonderful

Well, there are hardly words to describe my feelings for the past weekend. I attended my second Florida Writers Conference in Orlando, Florida and it was even better than the first one, something I just didn't think could be topped.

For only two and a half days, we sure packed a lot into that time. Workshops that really meant something, events that mixed us together like a giant stew of talent and creativity spiced with huge dollop of camaraderie; the time flew by. The workshops were interesting, helpful and delivered with a sincerity and expertise hard to top. The accommodations were exceptional, the staff excellent and the FWA folks awesome. Their organizational skills were very evident when event after event flowed with a pace that was perfect. This time I met old friends and made new ones. And the best part…it was fun, fun, fun from beginning to end.

Even with a broken foot I enjoyed every minute. Of course, that was only because my dear friend Lynn provided transportation to and from Orlando; pushed the wheelchair the hotel provided for me; fetched and gathered what I couldn't reach and generally saw that I was able to get from place to place. Therefore, I didn't miss a thing and was even able to participate. There was an overwhelming feeling of being in the right place at the right time with the right people. What a conglomeration of talent to be a part of! I thought last year's couldn't be topped but this one did and I'm already looking forward to next year.

One special bonus to the occasion was meeting with my publisher,Rebecca Melvin. I met Rebecca last year. It was a chance meeting and we seemed to often be crossing paths. It was shortly after the conference that she selected my manuscript Forgiven for publication; the book will be released in November and I am so excited I can't describe my feelings but elation comes to mind. Rebecca was at the conference again this year. This time I got to meet her husband, Neil, and renew my friendship with her mother, Martha. The trio are more than delightful and I was so pleased with the time we shared, even if it was snatched between events. But, having dinner with them on Friday evening was like the whipped cream and cherry on the top of the sundae.

The list of events and happenings seemed endless yet they flowed, one after the other. This year's FWA collection, Slices of Life, was finally unveiled for the participants and the joint book signings were such fun and again, an opportunity to meet new authors and renew friendships with those from last year.

I guess there are good things and then there are GOOD THINGS and this weekend was surely in that latter category. I'm sure I'll have more to say about this awesome time tomorrow. This first day home was a bit gruelling but tomorrow beckons and I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment