Wednesday, January 2, 2013

BLOG - A - as in apple


Well, I promised myself, and anyone else who might be interested, I would begin a regular regime of blogging -- so here goes.

When planning on going through the alphabet for this blog series (and it doesn't mean that I might not stick some other un-alphabetical thoughts into this project) I considered skipping around -- you know e, then h, and maybe t, there seems to be a lot of interesting words that begin with t -- but then I thought about it and decided in my present state, I'd probably get confused so we're beginning with A-- simple huh?

I struggled for a while going through words that began with an A when it suddenly hit me -- A as in Author. Duh. After all, I am an author. When I first began writing I was told by someone that when you wrote books, you were only a writer until you got published and then you were an author. I don't know who made that rule, it sounds kind of silly but then again I guess there is some measure of prestige in being published.

Then I thought, what can I write about me as an author and came up with just about zero beyond what my friends and readers already knew so, I thought, let's pick on other authors that I really enjoy.

Now there's a broad subject. I'm not always pleased when someone asks me who my favorite authors are because I have so many can they really be cataloged as favorites? But, as all other readers, I tend to gravitate to the same authors. Here's a list of my really, really favorite authors not in any order of favor. I love Maeve Binchy and I'm looking forward to her last book (she died last year but had a book ready for publishing); I also love (and get used to that word) Rosamund Pilcher; then there's Nicholas Sparks (I have most of his books and 7 are signed by the author), and, if you want a laugh, read one of Donald Westlakes books especially the Dortmunder series). I also enjoy books by Richard Paul Evans.

One of my very favorite books is A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith. It's the only one of his that I could attach the word love to. Then there are writers such as Grisham -- too many to list; and books that I read because of my dear Crystal Lake Book Club such as The Help, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, (those two are so funny) and Caleb's Crossing. I have friends who are authors, so many that I hesitate to list them. They know who they are and there're so good in so many ways. One thing I do know, an author must have regular contact with other authors or something goes amiss. My collection (you should see my bookcases) an eclectic assortment of books and authors whom I have enjoyed. I know I've left a lot out, (and again) you should see my book shelves, but I guess this is enough for now.

After reading all this I really could have made this an A for author and B for books blog. Well, never mind, I'll find something else to write about for the next blog. The real B one.

So long, for now. Take care and God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment